THE INFORMATION THE SITE COLLECTS AND HOW WE USE IT
Information You Provide to the Site
Please note that information submitted to the Site via a “contact us” or other similar function may not receive a response. We will not use the information provided to contact you for marketing purposes unrelated to your request unless you agree otherwise.
Information You Provide about a Third Party
If you send someone else a communication from the Site, such as sending Site content to a friend, the information you provide (names, e-mail addresses, etc.) is used to facilitate the communication and is not used for any other marketing purpose, unless we obtain consent from that person or we explicitly indicate otherwise. Please be aware that when you use any send-to-a-friend functionality on the Site, your name and e-mail address may be included in the communication sent to your friend.
Information Third Parties Provide about You
Information We Collect as You Access and Use the Site
In addition to any Personal Information or other information that you choose to provide to us on the Site, we and our third-party service providers may use a variety of technologies, now and hereafter devised, that automatically collect certain website usage information whenever you visit or interact with the Site. This information may include browser type, operating system, the page served, the time, and the preceding page view, among other information. We may use this usage information for a variety of purposes, including to enhance or otherwise improve the Site. In addition, your IP address or some other unique identifier for the particular device you use to access the Internet (collectively referred to as a “Device Identifier”), as applicable, may be collected. A Device Identifier is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer, your cell phone or other device used to access the Internet, and our computers identify your device by its Device Identifier. We may associate your Device Identifier with the Personal Information that you provide.
The methods that we may use to collect this information include the following:
- Cookies. A cookie is a data file placed on a computer when it is used to visit the Site. Cookies may be used for many purposes, including, without limitation, tracking user preferences and web pages visited while using the Site. You may disable cookies by using your browser’s preferences, but some features of the Site may not function properly or may operate slowly if you disable the cookies.
- Web Beacons. Small graphic images or other web programming code called web beacons (also known as “1x1 GIFs” or “clear GIFs”) may be included in our content (e.g., web pages and e-mail messages). Web beacons may be invisible to you, but any electronic image or other web programming code inserted into any content can act as a web beacon. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including, without limitation, to count visitors to the Site, to monitor how users navigate the Site, to count how many e-mails that we sent were actually opened or to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
- Mobile Device Identifiers. Certain mobile service providers uniquely identify mobile devices and we or our third-party service providers may receive such device information if you access the Site through mobile devices. Certain features of the Site may require collection of mobile phone numbers and we may associate that phone number to mobile device identification information. Additionally, some mobile phone service providers operate systems that pinpoint the physical location of devices that use their service. Depending on the provider, we or our third-party service providers may receive this information.
- Embedded Scripts. An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Site, such as which links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your computer from our Web server or a third-party service provider, is active only while you are connected to the Site, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
- Automatic Collection. Information collected through automatic means may be non-identifying or may be associated with you. If associated with you, it will be treated as Personal Information.
HOW AND WHEN WE DISCLOSE INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES
Third Parties Providing Services on Our Behalf. We may use third-party vendors to perform certain services on behalf of GLEH, such as processing housing or services applications, providing services to you, processing transactions, hosting the Site, designing and/or operating the Site’s features, tracking Site analytics, enabling GLEH to send you e-mail or performing other administrative services. We may provide these companies with access to user information, including Personal Information, if necessary to carry out the services they are performing for you or for GLEH.
Promotions. We may offer sweepstakes, raffles, contests and other promotions (each, a “Promotion”) through the Site that may require registration. By participating in a Promotion, you are agreeing to the terms, conditions or official rules that govern that Promotion, which may contain specific requirements of you, including, except where prohibited by law, allowing the sponsor(s) of the Promotion to use your name, voice and/or likeness in advertising or marketing associated with the Promotion. If you choose to enter a Promotion, Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, including, without limitation, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law or permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, such as on a winners list.
Business Transfers. GLEH reserves the right to disclose and transfer all information related to the Site, including Personal Information: (1) to a subsequent owner, co-owner or operator of the Site; or (2) in connection with a corporate merger, consolidation, restructuring, the sale of substantially all of GLEH’s assets or other corporate change, including, without limitation, during the course of any due diligence process.
NOTICE TO PARENTS
The Site is a general audience website and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children younger than the age of thirteen (13). We will delete any Personal Information collected that we later determine to be from a user younger than the age of thirteen (13).
CHANGING YOUR INFORMATION PREFERENCES AND QUESTIONS
You are responsible for maintaining the accuracy of the information you submit to us, such as your contact information provided to us when you fill out a form to volunteer or request services from GLEH. The Site allows you to correct or update Personal Information that you have provided to GLEH, and your preferences related thereto, including providing you a cost-free ability to opt-out of any previous consent to our sharing of your Personal Information with third parties for informational or direct marketing purposes. GLEH will make good faith efforts to make requested changes in our then-active databases as soon as reasonably practicable.
THIRD-PARTY CONTENT AND LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES
The Site may contain content that is supplied by a third party, and those third parties may collect website usage information and your Device Identifier when pages from the Site are served to your browser. In addition, the Site may contain links to other third-party websites that GLEH does not control. GLEH is not responsible for the privacy practices employed by any third-party website. For example, if you “click” on a link from a GLEH partner, the “click” may take you off the Site onto a different website. These other sites may send their own cookies to you, independently collect data or solicit Personal Information and may or may not have their own published privacy policies. GLEH encourages you to note when you leave the Site and to read the privacy statements of all third-party websites before submitting any Personal Information to those sites.
Third-party applications may be available via the Site. The owners of these applications (“Third-Party Owners”) may collect Personal Information from you and may have their own policies and practices. GLEH is not responsible for how Third-Party Owners or their applications use your Personal Information. Third-Party Owners may have their own terms of service, privacy policies or other policies and ask you to agree to the same. GLEH is not responsible for these policies or the practices of Third-Party Owners. Be sure to review any available policies before submitting any personally identifiable information to a third-party application or otherwise interacting with it.
CONSENT TO TRANSFER INFORMATION TO THE UNITED STATES
The Site is operated in the United States and intended for users located in the United States. If you are located in the European Union, Canada or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect will be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using the Site or providing us with any information, you consent to this transfer and processing of your information in the United States.
GLEH takes commercially reasonable steps to help protect and secure Personal Information. However, no data transmission over the Internet, wireless transmission or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please note that we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information we collect, and you use the Site and provide us with your information at your own risk.
© 2013 Gay & Lesbian Elder Housing Corporation. All rights reserved.